|NE Quadrant, Civil War Era, Federal Government Employees, Female, Radicals, Translators, Also of Interest|
Mary Smith Lockwood
14 Girard St. NE, Stronghold neighborhood, DC.
A nonfiction writer, historian and journalist, Lockwood moved to DC in 1878 with her husband, a Civil War veteran. Her books include Art Embroidery: A Treatise on the Revived Practice of Decorative Needlework (1878, co-written with Elizabeth Glaister), Columbia Guide to Historic and Modern Washington (1897), Historic Homes in Washington: Its Noted Men and Women (1889), Story of the Records: Daughters of the American Revolution, with Emily Lee Sherwood (1906), Yesterdays in Washington (1915), and Afoot and Awheel in Europe (1916). Lockwood also translated The Beginnings of History According to the Bible and the Traditions of Oriental Peoples (1883) by the noted French archeologist Francois Lenormant.
She wrote for The National Tribune, The Washington Times, and was the president of the International Press Association and the Women's National Press Association.
Lockwood was co-founder of the Daughters of the American Revolution, one of the first independent fraternal organizations formed specifically for women in the nation, and served as the organization’s first Historian General. The organization still awards a Mary Smith Lockwood Medal for Education.
Lockwood was an advocate for women’s rights, and a close friend and advisor to Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. She is buried in Rock Creek Cemetery.