NW Quadrant, East of Rock Creek, Maryland, Civil War Era, Federal Government Employees, Female, Also of Interest

Clara Barton
(December 25, 1821 – April 12, 1912)

5801 Oxford Road, Glen Echo, MD
Now a National Historic Site administered by the National Park Service. Free tours offered on the hour daily between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm.

A nurse, teacher, orator, and humanitarian, Barton organized the American Red Cross. During the Civil War, she established the main agency to obtain and distribute supplies to soldiers, traveling directly to the front lines, and gaining the nickname "The Angel of the Battlefield." In the years immediately after the war, she ran the Office of Missing Soldiers, in the top floor of a building that still stands at 437 Seventh St. NW in the Gallery Place neighborhood of DC.

Barton is the author of The Red Cross in Peace and War (1898) and Story of the Red Cross: Glimpses of Field Work (1904) as well as two memoirs. She lived in this home for the last 15 years of her life.

She is also remembered in the area by the Clara Barton Parkway that runs between Glen Echo and Potomac, MD. Several schools across the US are named for her, as well as crater on the planet Venus.



926 T Street NW, historic U Street neighborhood, DC.
Office of Missing Soldiers, 437 Seventh St. NW, Gallery Place neighborhood, DC
Links

Clara Barton National Historic Site
National Museum of Civil War Medicine

Historic photos courtesy of Library of Congress